The insurance world sucks right now, and at first I was reticent to take a vacation while things were so topsy-turvy. However, I needed to make sure that we (Coastal Louisiana Insurance) where sharp for what is, in my opinion, the beginning of a tough time in insurance for the State of Louisiana (more on that in the next blog). In the meantime, I hope some of my musings from vacation will resonate with you all (full-disclosure, most are stolen from someone's LinkedIn, Facebook, etc...). Without further ado, my top 25 thoughts from my time away:
1. You can tell a lot about a person by how they shake hands. Never shake a man’s hand sitting down. Firm, but not overpowering, never limp wristed or fingered. Always look the other person in the eye.
2.In a negotiation, never make the first move. He who speaks first loses..
3. When entrusted with a secret, keep it. Loose lips sink ships (and jobs, marriages, and families)
4. Hold your heroes to a high standard. Hold yourself to a higher standard than that.
5. Work harder on yourself than you do on your job.
6. Return a borrowed car with a full tank of gas. Especially if you ever want to borrow it again.
9. Play with passion or don’t play at all. The guy who plays for the big contract will never honor it. The guy who plays for love of the game always will.
10. Don’t let a wishbone grow where a backbone should be.
11. You marry someone, you marry their family.
12. Don’t be a chihuahua, be a duck. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like crazy underneath.
13. Always open the door for a lady. If she’s offended, she’s no lady.
14. Never turn down a breath mint. It’s not always an insult, but if it is, take it with class. Everyone else will appreciate it.
15. Try writing your own eulogy. Never stop revising. It will make you become a better person, and you’ll save your family a lot of work when they are least equipped to do it.
16. Thank a veteran. Then make it up to him. Honor his sacrifice by caring about his brothers.
17. After writing an angry email, read it carefully. Then delete it. Then write it again. If you still feel that passionately, make a phone call or confront the other party face-to-face.
18. Emails- keep them brief. No one ever won a pulitzer for “Most Articulate Email”.
19. Who you are when no one’s looking is who you really are.
20. Give credit. Take the blame. If you can do this, you will be more Christ-like than anyone you know
21. Stand up to Bullies. Protect those bullied. Most importantly, don’t be the bully.
22. Be confident and humble at the same time.
23.The man makes the money, the money does not make the man.
24. Wasted time with those you love is the most valuable time of all.
25. If ever in doubt, remember whose Child you are.
As always, if you an insurance need rather than an existential one, please feel free to reach us at 225-389-6024, or log on to our website at www.coastallains.com